Can we shrink distribution database in SQL Server?
Answering your question exactly : Yes you can shrink the file ,given it has free space available.
How do I reduce the size of an mssql database?
Use SQL Server Management Studio
- In Object Explorer, connect to an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine, and then expand that instance.
- Expand Databases, and then right-click the database that you want to shrink.
- Point to Tasks, point to Shrink, and then select Database. Database. …
- Select OK.
How do you change a distribution database?
Stop the Log Reader Agent and Distribution Agent* ALTER DATABASE distribution SET OFFLINE* Move the data and log file to the new location* ALTER DATABASE distribution MODIFY FILE ( NAME = distribution , FILENAME = ‘NewPathdistribution.
What is distribution database in SQL Server?
The distribution database stores metadata and history data for all types of replication, and transactions for transactional replication. In many cases, a single distribution database is sufficient. However, if multiple Publishers use a single Distributor, consider creating a distribution database for each Publisher.
How do you shrink a distribution database?
If you want to shrink the data file you have 3 choices :
- Replicate the transactions to the subscriber . …
- run the cleanup job and see how many rows are removed . …
- Stop the logreader agent and distribution agent >> truncate these 2 tables and then shrink the datafile .
How do I clear a distribution database?
At the Distributor, execute sp_dropdistributiondb to delete the distribution database. This stored procedure should be run once for each distribution database at the Distributor. This also removes any Queue Reader Agent jobs associated with the distribution database.
How do I reduce the size of my database?
I would also focus on the data files only – troubleshooting and reducing transaction log size is the different topic.
- Find the worst offenders. …
- Reducing Index Fragmentation. …
- Implementing Data Compression. …
- Removing unused indexes. …
- Removing Redundant Indexes. …
- Implementing Filtered Indexes. …
- Using Appropriate Data Types.
How do I reduce the size of my database log?
Transaction Log Shrinking Methods
- we are referring to the option available in SSMS by Right Click DB Name -> Tasks -> Shrink -> Files -> File type -> Log.
- does reduce the physical log file size by freeing up internal free space of the transaction log.
How do I reindex a SQL database?
Rebuild an Index
- Right click on an index and go to Properties.
- Select Fragmentation from the Select a page window. …
- Click out of that window and right click on your index again. …
- Click Okay and the window and your Index will be rebuilt. …
- Rebuild All Indexes in a Table. …
- Then click okay.
- Or you can use the follow SQL Code.
How do I change the distribution database in SQL Server?
To change Distributor and distribution database properties
- At the Distributor, execute sp_changedistributor_property to modify Distributor properties.
- At the Distributor, execute sp_changedistributiondb to modify distribution database properties.
How do I remove transaction replication?
You will need to go to the publisher, expand the replication folder, right click on each publication, and delete the publication. That will prompt you to connect to the subscriber, and remove the subscription components there.
How do I drop a publisher in SQL Server?
Go in activity monitor and kill those connection. then right click on replication on SSMS and select disable publishing and distributor…. and follow the screen.
Is SQL a distributed database?
A distributed SQL database is a single relational database which replicates data across multiple servers. Distributed SQL databases are strongly consistent and most support consistency across racks, data centers, and wide area networks including cloud availability zones and cloud geographic zones.
How does a distributed database work?
A distributed database is a database that consists of two or more files located in different sites either on the same network or on entirely different networks. Portions of the database are stored in multiple physical locations and processing is distributed among multiple database nodes.
Is Microsoft SQL Server distributed?
Introduction. SQL Server 2016 provides a new feature Distributed Availability Group for disaster recovery purposes. It is a particular type of availability group that helps access the multiple failover clusters.