AFAIK, there’s no way to rename a SQL Server instance. You either have to re-install, or install a new instance with the desired name.
Is it possible to rename a SQL Server instance?
They can be used only to rename the part of the instance name that corresponds to the computer name. For example, you can change a computer named MB1 that hosts an instance of SQL Server named Instance1 to another name, such as MB2. However, the instance part of the name, Instance1, will remain unchanged.
How do I change the name of my SQL Server server?
To change the name of a server
- In Registered Servers, expand Database Engine and then Local Server Groups.
- Right-click a server and select Properties to open the Edit Server Registration Properties dialog window.
- In the Registered server name text box, type the new name for the server registration, and then click Save.
How do I change the SQL Server name after renaming the Windows host?
Updating SQL Server after a Hostname Change
- Rename Computer & reboot.
- Open SSMS & connect to your SQL Instance. …
- Get SQL’s impression on hostnames. …
- Drop currently registered name (sp_dropserver).
- Register new hostname (sp_addserver).
- For the change to be applied, restart the SQL Server service.
How do you change your instance name?
How To: Change Instance Name Of SQL Server
- Run this in Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio: sp_dropserver ‘old_name’ go sp_addserver ‘new_name’,’local’ go.
- Restart SQL Server service.
How do I change the instance name of my default instance?
Convert your Named Instance into Default Instance
- It is actually very uncomplicated to convert a Named Instance into a Default Instance. …
- Go to the tab IP Address and look for the property TCP Dynamic Ports.
- This is the port to which the SQL browser will listen.
How do I change the instance name of a SQL Server default instance?
Rename or Change SQL Server Standalone Default Instance
- Step 1 : Check Current Instance & host name. …
- Step 2 : Rename Host name & reboot the server.
- Step 3 : Try to connect with SQL server admin-0783e4076 & you will face below error because no instance of server name [ADMIN-0783E4076] exists as server name got changed.
How do I change the default instance name in SQL Server 2016?
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Click SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Click Protocols for INSTANCENAME you want to make available (i.e. SQLExpress)
- Right-click TCP/IP and click Enabled.
- Right-click TCP/IP and go to Properties. …
- Go to SQL Server Services.
How do I rename a SQL Server instance 2017?
AFAIK, there’s no way to rename a SQL Server instance. You either have to re-install, or install a new instance with the desired name. Once that’s done, you could move your user DB’s over.
How do I change the instance name in SQL Server 2017?
SQL Server Configuration Manager
Now expand the SQL Native Client 11.0 Configuration folder, there is a sub-folder called Aliases, right-click Aliases and choose New Aliases. Now you can specify the new instance name that you want for the application.
What is the default instance name for SQL Server 2016?
The default instance actually has an instance name. It’s MSSQLSERVER.