Can we use SQL Profiler for performance tuning?
Tuning advisor helps to get the performance report that is generated by SQL Profiler and provide the appropriate indexing. It takes one or more SQL statements as input and invokes the Automatic Tuning Optimizer to perform SQL tuning on the statements.
How do you performance tune a SQL query in SQL Server?
Supercharge Your SQL Queries for Production Databases
- Define business requirements first. …
- SELECT fields instead of using SELECT * …
- Avoid SELECT DISTINCT. …
- Create joins with INNER JOIN (not WHERE) …
- Use WHERE instead of HAVING to define filters. …
- Use wildcards at the end of a phrase only. …
- Use LIMIT to sample query results.
What is the use of SQL Profiler in SQL Server?
An SQL server profiler is a tool for tracing, recreating, and troubleshooting problems in MS SQL Server, Microsoft’s Relational Database Management System (RDBMS). The profiler lets developers and Database Administrators (DBAs) create and handle traces and replay and analyze trace results.
How do I run a SQL Server Profiler trace?
METHOD 1 – Use a SQL Template
- Determine what version of SQL Server you have and double-click the link below to download the zip file of SQL templates. …
- Within SQL Profiler, click on File | New Trace. …
- Click RUN to start the trace and the SQL Profiler window will open and the trace is now running.
How can I tell if SQL Profiler is running?
How to find all the profiler traces running on my SQL Server
- select. [Status] =
- case tr.[status]
- when 1 THEN ‘Running’
- when 0 THEN ‘Stopped’
- ,[Default] =
- case tr.is_default.
- when 1 THEN ‘System TRACE’
How can check database performance in SQL Server?
Check SQL Server Configuration
- Start SQL Server Management Studio.
- Right-click on your database instance and select “Properties”.
- Click on “Memory” table in the “Server Properties” pop-up window.
- Check the memory settings.
How do you perform a performance tune up?
Prioritized Tuning Steps
- Step 1: Tune the Business Rules.
- Step 2: Tune the Data Design.
- Step 3: Tune the Application Design.
- Step 4: Tune the Logical Structure of the Database.
- Step 5: Tune Database Operations.
- Step 6: Tune the Access Paths.
- Step 7: Tune Memory Allocation.
- Step 8: Tune I/O and Physical Structure.
How do I select a database in SQL Profiler?
5 Answers. Under Trace properties > Events Selection tab > select show all columns. Now under column filters, you should see the database name. Enter the database name for the Like section and you should see traces only for that database.
What replaces SQL Server Profiler?
XE will replace the SQL Profiler in the future versions. By the moment, SQL Server includes Profiler and XE. The XEs is a feature included in SQL Server 2008.